Saturday, February 9, 2013

Progress report - Three months of online dating

In the last month, I have stopped seeing the guy ("Robocop").  Although I enjoyed my time with him and found him physically attractive, we would not be compatible long-term because he did not have some key qualities I want in a partner.  It would be harder to break it off later, so it was better to do it sooner.  I think he is genuinely a good guy, but just not for me.

A couple of friends asked me how accurate men's online profiles on dating websites are.  Of the 7 men I have dated so far, only 2 had representative pictures.  Of the 5 without representative pictures, most looked significantly older (about 5 years) in person.  The profile descriptions for everyone were pretty accurate though.  Interestingly, 3 of the 7 men were in law enforcement and carried a gun with them at all times including dates.

My friend who has been single until her late thirties shared her wisdom with me.  Even though we feel like giving up on finding a partner sometimes, do we really actually give up?  No.  We are sad for a while and complain that all men suck to our girlfriends.  But in the end, we suck it up and get back into the dating game.  We do this because we have to.  And it will make us appreciate the one we end up with even more.

Because the emails on the dating website were slowing down, I decided to join another big dating website to put myself out there.  After being on this new site for two weeks, I have received over 150 emails and winks.  However, none have caught my interest... yet.

2 comments:

  1. Your friend's comment reminds me of Lovestruck's video that came out in December, did you see it? Stephen Fry tweeted about it and everything went chaotic. Check it out if you haven't, I can't tell you much about it or I'll spoil the story...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Brenda. I tried to look up the video on YouTube but there were many Lovestruck videos to choose from. Could you please send me the link for the specific video? Thank you.

      Delete